🍌 Crazy 🍌 Banana Lady

Thank you for visiting my website. Please check out all the information in the menu and subscribe to the mailing list.

Days 42 and 43 in Costa Rica

Day 42

Woke up at 5:30a.m. I really didn’t want to be awake. I snuggled up in my sleeping bag for a while trying to go back to sleep but it wasn’t working. I gave up and got in the hot tub. Then I came up to the great room and checked my e-mail until breakfast.

BREAKFAST: watermelon and papaya

After breakfast I wrote my blog. I’ve gotten behind a few days and was working on catching up again.

I was in charge of sunning fruit today. Christie had brought all the papaya and pineapple out to sun and turned them. My job was to bring them back in. It took about an hour to carry 67 papayas and 35 pineapples back in and put them away. My back was very sore again after that. I was looking forward to Doug’s adjustment later that day.

LUNCH: banana/mango smoothie, bananas, celery and lettuce

I had just sat down and poured myself a glass. Then I got up to refill the empty pitcher with smoothie so we could have more at our table. As soon as I got in the kitchen I was told Clarissa wanted me to cut up some more celery. So I quickly refilled the pitcher and cut some celery up and put it out. Then I was told that wasn’t enough celery. I was becoming very frustrated because I just wanted to drink my smoothie and sit down for 10 minutes. I grabbed my glass and took it in the kitchen with me so I could at least have some lunch while I was cutting up more celery. As soon as I finished Clarissa told me she wanted me to start on lunch clean up right away because she wanted to start dinner prep early again. Arg. I chugged a couple of glasses of smoothie and started cleaning up.

Once lunch was cleaned up I gave Jerome a haircut. Then Jerome gave a lecture on how to learn a language in 7 days. It was a really great lecture and I was happy to start practicing right away.

When the lecture was over one of the walking tour guests led a yoga class up the yoga room. It was so nice doing yoga again. I’ve missed doing yoga. I want to start doing it on my own until I get back to Boise and start up my private lessons with Tim again. Well see if I can fit that in.

I was feeling pretty stretched and thought it would be a good time to get my back adjustment. I found Doug and asked him if now would be a good time. He said to find him right before dinner. Also Doug and Grant asked me to remind the interns to finish turning in their homework and taking their exams from our classes. I was sure everyone would be happy to hear that! I went in the kitchen and relayed the message to the interns. I got a lot of shrugs and eye-rolls….lol. About what I expected…haha…I haven’t turned in all of my work either and I don’t know if I will get to it before this is over. I will turn it in after I get home and have a few days off.

DINNER: OJ; tomato/mango/celery soup; potato salad; casserole

Dinner was fabulous. The potato salad was so good and tasted just like potato salad. I will have to ask Clariss what spices she put it in.

As dinner was starting Doug pulled me aside, took me in the great room. He had a very serious look and I was sure I was going to get reamed out. Instead he gave me a back adjustment. I told him that his serious look scares me and then he gave me a smile. J My back feels much better! Yay!

I was a server at dinner and every time I would go into the kitchen I would talk to Sarai in Spanish to practice. We were having great fun. I pointed at the dishes at said fregas los platos..(if I remembered it right)..it means to wash the dishes. She’d grab a ladle and chase me around the kitchen. Then she would swear at me in Spanish. I kept looking up sassy words in my Spanish book and say them just to get another her going again. We were both laughing and having a good time with it all.

After dinner I messaged my friend E for a while. Then soaked in the hot tub, read and went to sleep at around 9p.m.


Day 43

Woke up at 7a.m. Yay…I slept through the night. Breakfast will be starting an hour earlier this morning from now on so people can go on the walks for a longer amount of time between breakfast and lunch before it gets too hot.

I quickly got in the hot tub and headed up to breakfast.

BREAKFAST: watermelon

I ate light because I knew I was going on a long hike today and didn’t want to be weighed down too much.

The hike started out great. We climbed and climbed and climbed, very steep hills. My legs were starting to get a little wobbly on one of the last big climbs. Grant helped push me up the hill, which was great. I don’t think I would have made it otherwise. We finally made it to the top of the road. I was feeling pretty weak by then, but figured I would be fine since coming back would be downhill most of the way. I was very thirsty, and even though I’d drunk a bunch of water before I left it obviously wasn’t enough. I stopped at a couple of fresh streams and drank my fill of the spring water. It tasted so amazing!

My sandal on my right foot was rubbing my burn scars and making a sore. So I took my sandals off and tried to walk barefoot, but it was slow going and I was the last one. Grant offered to carry me on his back for a ways, which was a nice break. Then he offered his socks if that would help. I said that would be great. Once the socks were on the sandal wasn’t rubbing at all anymore.

I continued going down and was still feeling really wobbly, I also had a slight headache. Everyone else was quite a ways ahead of me, but I didn’t mind. I liked walking by myself. After a while Drew came back and walked with me to where everyone had stopped to take a swim. I hobbled down to the water and plopped in. It felt so good on my hot skin. I drank some more and my headache went away.

Everyone was heading back so Danielle helped me stand up, but my legs were feeling pretty much useless by then. I’d been out walking for 2 and a half hours by that time. Most everyone passed me walking back. I was just shuffling along, but I felt like I could make it if I just went at my own pace.


I got to a little hill about a mile from the retreat and I just couldn’t walk anymore. I sat down on the side of the road to rest for a bit and see if that helped. One of the last people walking that had been behind me stopped to see if I was all right. I told her I just needed to rest for a bit, then I felt I would be fine. She went on and I sat there with my eyes closed resting for a while. Then I managed to get to my feet and walk a little farther. I needed to rest every few minutes. I couldn’t feel my legs by then. I would somehow get to my feet and then use the bushes on the side of the road to hold me up.

A young couple stopped to ask if I was ok and gave me some water. I told them I was almost there. Which I was…only about a half mile to go. I would crawl along the side of the road in the grassy areas and if there was no grass I sat on my butt and scooted. I was just making it around the last corner when a car stopped and asked if I needed help. He only spoke Spanish, I pointed to the retreat sign and he went on. I was so happy to get to the gate. I only had the long driveway to go. It had taken me 45 minutes to get that last mile. I collapsed on the ground at the gate and rested for a while, crying. Chris Kendall was saying that when you push your body to extremes there is always an emotional detox, well mine was coming on strong. It felt so good to cry, I just let it come. I didn’t even care how loud I was, I just cried and cried. I was so grateful that I had made it to the gate. I knew that someone would come looking for me eventually if I didn’t make it down the driveway. I had lunch clean up. Someone would come looking for me when I didn’t show up for that.

I started scooting my way down the driveway. Then I tried rolling down, but I just got dizzy. So I scooted some more until I got to where the cabins were. Then I just lied down and cried some more.

Stephanie saw me in the driveway and came over. I was covered in dirt and tears. I told her I made it back and cried some more. She said that she was just coming to look for me. Then other people came over and gave me some water and some bananas smoothie. I could only take little sips, I was shaking really bad.

Grant came over and couldn’t believe that he hadn’t seen me when him and Drew came up behind everyone. I didn’t see them either; it had to have been when I was sitting with my eyes closed for a while.

Danielle and a few others helped me into a lawn chair and gave me some celery. The celery made me feel a lot better. Danielle was rubbing my legs and I just cried off an on.

One of the ladies said I could lie down in her room for a while. I was concerned because I had a consult call that I needed to make at 2p.m. Danielle said she would call and reschedule for me, which she did. Then I was helped to lie down in the room. I instantly fell asleep and slept 3 hours. I woke up a half hour before dinner when another lady that shared the room came in. She was telling me that the talk this afternoon was about emotions. She got a lot out of it and told me what was said. It sounded like a great talk and I want to get the video of it from Kevin. At 5p.m. I hobbled to dinner. I was glad to have my legs back, even if they were really wobbly still.

DINNER: OJ; mushroom, tomato, mango, celery soup; partial dried zucchini halves with warmed “sloppy joe” on top. The dinner was really good. I went crazy chugging the juice.

After dinner I called Shawn and Savana. I didn’t get a chance to call Scott because the video started before I got to it. I will have to call him tomorrow. I didn’t get to talk to him last weekend, so I wanted to make sure I talked to him this weekend.

My daughter is ready for me to come home. I am ready to go home too.

After the video a lady helped me down the steps to the hot tub. We both soaked for a while. The warm water felt really good on my legs. I read for a while and went to sleep around 8:30 p.m.


  1. AW! So sorry about your bad hiking experience. So glad you made it back. The strength is there, from all that improved health you own. Just imagine if you had to go through all this with your old body!

    Be well, fantastic VV!

    • Vibrant Victoria

      February 16, 2012 at 9:46 am

      I will get strong again and then I will be even stronger than I was. 🙂 Thank you for all your encouragement!!!!

Leave a Reply