Day 2 in Costa Rica

Day 2 in Costa Rica

Woke up at 5 a.m. Went down to the river and took a quick morning dip. The water was very cold but refreshing.

After my swim I came back to my room and wrote my blog until breakfast.



At breakfast we had our morning meeting. Today we talked about how to monitor the people fasting.

I was partnered up with a young teenager named Drew and as soon as breakfast was over we headed over to do our monitoring. I really enjoyed the experience. The person I was monitoring just started fasting that morning and he looked great. He was having an issue with his bed sliding across the floor. I talked to Doug and Grant about a solution. The suggested going down to the river and carrying up rocks to put in front of the bed frame. Drew being the tough young teenage guy brought up a rock so heavy that he had to stop and rest quite a few times on the climb back up. I carried a rock that was quite a bit smaller and lighter. The rocks did work though. No more sliding bed.

I checked with the other interns to see how their experience with the fasters went. All of them seemed to enjoy the experience. One of the interns expressed to me that a faster wasn’t sleeping well because his mattress was too hard. I immediately went and talked to the faster. His roommate with a softer mattress seemed more than happy to switch beds to see if that fixed the problem. I guess we will find out tomorrow if it worked.

At 11 a.m. Doug took all the interns and staff on a walk around what is called “the loop”. It is about 2 miles of dirt road that goes around the property. It was a beautiful walk and about halfway through Doug heads off into the jungle to show us an amazing swimming hole with a gorgeous waterfall. All of us were hot by then, so clothes and all, we took a short little swim to cool off. Now refreshed we continued our walk. My favorite part was coming across  locals and greeting them in Spanish. I was also happy to see that the retreat is not as secluded as I thought. There is a lot going on around the area and plenty of people I can find to practice speaking Spanish with.

Back at the retreat we had our lunch meeting.


Lunch was blended banana’s, banana’s and romaine lettuce. The cavendish banana’s here are so much better than the ones I get back home. The flavor is amazing. I can’t even stand cavendish banana’s that I get in Boise, even though they are fair trade and organic. The flavor is completely different. The only way I get banana’s down back home is to blend them, just eating them makes me gag. I’m not sure why the flavor is so different but it just goes to show that fresh picked ripe fruit is so much better than transported fruit. Just another reason I have to move to the tropics, so I can eat good quality food 🙂

The lunch meeting was about anatomy and physiology. Very interesting and made me realize how little I know about my own body. I know I took these classes back in high school, but that was a long time ago and I remember very little. My assignment for tomorrow is to look up and do a presentation of the digestive system, as well as look up the nervous system.

After lunch we watched a slide show and had classes until dinner. I was so tired and just wanted to take a nap. Now that I know how rigid the schedule is, I will be sure to make sure to get plenty of sleep at night.

I was scheduled for dinner prep, which was a banana’s, mango, cucumber salad. I was amazed when cutting up the mango’s. I’ve never handled mango’s this perfect. They were so soft and juicy, the smell was just heavenly.

After dinner prep I went and talked to Doug. I’d been fighting a urinary tract infection for over a month and it is mild but I can’t seem to get it to go away. Doug recommended that I do a 36 to 48 hour fast. I didn’t like that option. I was hungry and wanted to eat that yummy salad I had just helped create. Doug of course said it was my choice to decide what I wanted to do.

I decided to fast.


Banana’s, mango, cucumber salad…that I didn’t eat.

The dinner meeting was mostly about blood pressure. It was hard for me to follow the conversation. I was so very tired and the meeting ran late.

After the dinner meeting I went straight to bed and was asleep by 9 p.m.

I was feeling very emotional throughout the day. I still am not feeling super vibrant and happy like I am when eating right and getting lots of sunshine. I think this urinary tract infection is taking it’s toll on me. I am excited to see how great I feel by tomorrow after fasting for a day.