Day 19 and 20 in Costa Rica

Day 19

I slept in until 7:30 a.m. which was really nice. I plan on sleeping in as much as possible from now on.

It was laundry day for my roommate and myself. I gathered up all my dirty laundry to get it ready.

BREAKFAST: watermelon and papaya

I don’t remember what was discussed in the breakfast meeting

After breakfast I monitored my fasters. I spent 2 hours talking with one of them. She really needed to talk and was having a hard time. It was a great conversation and she said she felt much better by the end. I was really glad she was doing better. I felt I got just as much out of the conversation as she did.

I had a half hour of free time before lunch. That time was used to soak up some sun.

LUNCH: blended bananas, bananas and romaine

Rob did a presentation on breast cancer. He did a really good job.

When lunch was over we watched a slide show and Clarissa told her life story. She has come a long ways in her 19 years of life.

After Clarissa’s story Jerome played the guitar and sang a song.

I had to leave before Doug did his lecture in order to help Christie out in the kitchen. It was her night to plan and prepare dinner. Her theme was colors. She sent me off to find 6 different colors of flowers. I really enjoyed walking around and finding different flowers. The plants and flowers are so incredibly beautiful here.

DINNER: mango, OJ and pineapple juice; pineapple, tomato soup; lasagna…dehydrated tomatoes, tomatoes, zucchini and lettuce.

The dinner turned out really good. I thought Christie had done a great job.

At dinner as soon as the sun went down I again developed a headache from my eyes. I sat at the table and did palming for a while. My eyes were tender to the touch and I realized that I had been palming wrong. I was gently putting my palms on my eyes, but I couldn’t do that because they were so tender. Instead I just cupped my eyes, making sure they were in total darkness. This way of palming seemed to help my headache tremendously.

After dinner I bought some g mail credits and called my sister and my mom. My mom was really upset. She had gone to my empty rental house to get it ready to rent and there were several water pipes broken, the bathroom was so moldy she tore out the carpet and re-did the floors. Stripped the wallpaper off all the walls and painted it. There was a lot more that she did. She had spent two days there working on things and still had more to do. She spent money she didn’t have to get done what she did. I assured her that I would get money to her to cover her expenses and told her I was very grateful for all that she had done. I told her that she didn’t have to finish the rest of the repairs if it was too much and that I would take care of it when I got back. She felt much better after I was able to calm her down.

It was nice to have been able to calm down two upset people in one day. I found that to be a great ending to the day.


Day 20


I woke up at 2 a.m. after the second time I had to get up and pee. I couldn’t go back to sleep until 5 a.m. Good thing I have a good book that I am able to read until I was able to fall back to sleep.

I woke up again at 7:30 a.m. When I went to the bathroom I discovered that I had started menstruating. I was really happy about that. I love the cleansing process my body goes through when I menstruate.

BREAKFAST: watermelon or bananas

We were getting low on food and were expecting 3 truck loads of food to arrive sometime during the day. Since we were low on food we had the choice of either watermelon or bananas. Combining those two together in the same meal would cause horrible digestive issues. I, of course, chose watermelon. Then I ate too much too fast and got melon belly….which is a tummy ache that usually goes away in 5 or 10 minutes.

After breakfast the first food truck came with oranges. That was a quick unload, right after that the second food truck arrived and we unloaded massive amounts of fruits and vegetables. I love how beautiful and colorful all the food looks. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables is such a wonderful way of life.

One that was done I monitored my faster. I only had to do one today and she was the woman that I spent so much time talking with the day before. I was happy that I was building a really strong bond with her. She was doing a lot better today. We only spent an hour talking today instead of 2 hours.

We had to cut our conversation short because the last food truck had arrived. The interns had trouble finding refrigerator room for all the food, there was so much we had 2 refrigerators packed full. I wonder what we are going to do when we have to have even more food when the fasters start eating. I’m sure they have a system. I heard a rumor that another refrigerator will be brought in.

When we had it all unloaded and put away. I called my bank and sent my mom some money. Then I spent a half hour answering my e-mails.

I had a half hour left of free time. I went down by the pool and sunbathed nude until time for lunch

LUNCH: blended bananas with coconut water and cinnamon, bananas and romaine.

I had been really happy with the simplicity of breakfast and lunch. My body responds so much better when I eat simple meals.

Today the banana, coconut water and cinnamon smoothie did not sit well with me. I had a tummy ache after lunch, not like a melon belly tummy ache, but a sick tummy ache. I went to my room and threw up a lot of the smoothie. I felt much better afterward.

Drew was sharing his story today and I didn’t want to miss it. I wanted to see how a 17 year old would present his life. I  was glad I got to hear what he had to say…I really enjoyed it.

When Drew was done I went to my room and took a nap for an hour and a half. I woke up and read my book until an hour before dinner. I came to the kitchen and it was Jerome’s turn to plan and prepare dinner. Jerome was running behind and asked if I would be able to help out, which of course I did. I had asked Jerome earlier in the day after my banana smoothie fiasco, if he would make me just plain OJ and cut up tomatoes. He hadn’t gotten to my tomatoes yet so I cut them up and decorated my own plate. I enjoyed doing that for myself.

DINNER: my dinner was a pitcher of fresh squeezed OJ and 4 cut up tomatoes. I wasn’t paying attention to what everyone else had.

Jerome’s theme was purity. I was the greeter. Jerome started off the dinner with a five-minute relaxation meditation; I really enjoyed the meditation and was reminded of how I used to do that daily. It’s something I am going to make sure to start doing again.

I was happy as ever to have my simple meal. It was just enough. I felt light and satisfied. My headache came back when the sun went down. I again did palming for while and the headache went away.

Dinner meeting was reading through a couple of paragraphs writing by a raw foodist about grass and sprouts. We were to go through and find what we agreed and disagreed with and why. This was a fun easy exercise for me. I was called on the go first and I covered everything so thoroughly there wasn’t much more that anyone could add…even Doug. Yes!!

After dinner I went to bed. Stephanie and I talked for a while about the foods we used to eat and how disgusting it was. Like eating the bubbly fat from a roast…soo disgusting! I then read for a half hour and went to sleep at 9:30 p.m.